Thursday, February 26, 2009

More Fish Stories




Our world is turning into spring and we've been outside a lot lately. The other day, Curtis waylayed a heavily tattooed fisherman at the lake who took pity on him and gave him a worm for his pole (which he ran home to get). He then showed Curty exactly where to cast and in less than a minute Curty had hooked a monster minnow (at least 3 inches!) The fisherdude was using the little fish for bait, so Curty would hook them and then fisherdude would take them and cast them out for bass and catfish.

This was such a positive experience that we are now obsessed with fishing (we, not really meaning me, but it's nice to sit out on the grass and read while the kids are having fun.) We also discovered from this that a cup of worms, purchased at Wal-mart, is a great tool for keeping a two year-old entertained. The possibilities are many and exciting! First, while in the store, if the two year-old is ready to climb out (which is always!) you can open the cup of worms and let him spend many happy minutes poking the worms and watching them squirm. Later at home, when he's bored or cranky, open up the fridge, pull out the worms and repeat the poking process! What fun! At the lake, he will discover that pulling them out of the cup with pliers is endlessly exciting, but cutting them into pieces with scissors is also highly diverting! Ah, the cup 'o worms, a must have for every toddler's household! =D

After our trek to Wal-mart for worms, we went fishing again and Curty caught 8 fish in a row (to be released back in the lake.) Jonah and Cody showed up later and caught a few also. I tried and failed, as did Ren. (We were using Eli's Lightning McQueen fishing pole which he got for his birthday, so I'm happy to blame it on the pole.) I'm not sure I see the appeal in catching oodles of little fish only to throw them back, but I have to admit I had hoped to feel a bite on my hook.
I'm sure we'll continue to fish until the blazin' hot sun forces us back into our cave. Then those poor little fish can nurse their sore lips in preparation for the next fishing season. Do they tell stories too about the worm that got away or their adventures out of the water? Those would be fascinating fish stories for sure!










4 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Hate to tell you, Jen, but I don't think you can blame it on the pole.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?id=3548595

I'm glad fun was had by all, but hopefully PETA won't be alerted about the "worm torture" that went on. ; )

Timsalive said...

And he didnt eat the worm? He didnt roll it in oreo crumbs to make a snack? What is this world coming to? I took the family to Colorado last year after Lake Powell trip and the girls went fishing with My Uncle and I. But the real fun was 4 years ago when in Winter I took the girls to Colorado and My Uncle caught a rainbow trout in the river by his house. When he gutted the fish which Jillian was amazed at we found a rock an inch and half long in it. It was all pitted from acid I guess. But it was funny, We still have the rock as a souvenir. Fishing stories are always great.

Deborah said...

We love fishin', too. I should be a good mom and take my kids this summer.

Anonymous said...

Fishing was a big at our house also. The kids would always scream for Mom to take the fish off the hook. Fish I didn't mind it was the worms in the refrigerator that drove me crazy. I wish I was there watching everyone grow up. :(