Monday, December 28, 2009

Nineteen Crazy Years

I suppose the word crazy as a description for the last nineteen years isn't the most romantic, but to describe it as "blissful" would be missing the point I think. The roller coaster of marriage is designed to bring two people closer together through moments of blinding happiness and passion as well as moments of grief, despair, frustration and even anger. That we have arrived at this point still deeply in love and eager for the next 19 years is a testament to me of what marriage should be.

I am so grateful today that I didn't choose Mike, Howard, Greg, Dave or Larry! No offense to these guys who each had merits of their own to recommend them. But when Ren and I realized that being absolutely best friends was the perfect jumping off point for love and marriage, it was the wisest decision I had ever made up to that point and might ever make. I love that Ren laughs at my jokes, has taken the time to learn when to hug and when to back off, is constantly trying better to understand me, pushes me to be better and accepts me for who I am. I can truly say he completes me. :D

So... Happy Anniversary to my sweetheart. I adore this man and am beyond grateful for the years we have spent growing up and growing together. I can't even imagine what the next 19 years will hold...having children in college and on missions, becoming grandparents and finally having an empty nest! It will be crazy, but it will be an eagerly anticipated adventure with the man I love sharing the ride.

1 comment:

The Laundry Queen said...

This post is fabulous, Jennie! The only part that has me a little uncertain is Ren's glasses in the picture, but knowing he has moved on from those by now pretty much assures me that you'll make the next 19 years in style. Just keep him away from the tights... ; )

Congratulations!