Sunday, November 21, 2010

'Tis that time of year again...Shakespeare is in the Air

The 2010/2011 Shakespeare Conquest class at their parent night.
 I guess you can't really call it an annual tradititon when this is only the second year, but my kids are immersed in Shakespeare again as part of our homeschool co-op. This year Guildswoman Hannah joins Don Moth (Cody) of Spain and King Jonah the Lunatic. They've spent the last 3 months reading 17 Shakespeare plays, writing papers on "Romeo and Juliet" and learning acting techniques in preparation for next semester's production of "Much Ado About Nothing". My favorite part of this process is how my little guys begin quoting their older siblings, yelling: "Hark slave!" at whoever will listen.

Don Cody, King Jonah (wearing his Costard the Swain costume from last year's play)  and Guildswoman Hannah
 Hannah does find it a little disconcerting to be in a class with her not-so-little-anymore brothers. But they seem to be doing fine together...

Hannah will definitely be keeping the upper hand in this trio!
...most of the time. Stay tuned for the spring play, it will be an experience!

1 comment:

Jonah Byers said...

For anyone who is wondering, this is the explanation why I am King Jonah the Lunatic.
Last year, I was a character in our shakespeare production, (Duh), and I found that that character seemed to talk to himself alot. So I created a puppet for my costume, and instead of talking with myself I talked with the puppet. I later called myself King Jonah the Lunatic because my chief advisor was that puppet. (In these pictures, he's in my hat. It's a large hat.)