So I called a family council and we planned our Christmas season that it might unfold with a purpose. We planned fun family activities, service projects, and quiet moments to listen to Christmas stories and read scriptures about our Savior. Each night, whoever is home, gathers in the family room and we light two red candles. We read sweet stories of service and love that paint a picture of the Christmas spirit in action. We sing Christmas carols (the other night 4 year-old Gid asked, "Why are we all sitting here singing?") and we invite the Christmas spirit to be here. And I'm finally beginning to feel it.
While it seems to be a wonderful start, now I'm thinking about the concept of giving gifts to Jesus. When we give each other presents, it is symbolic of those gifts given by three wise men so long ago or even more importantly the gift of God, given in His son. But there still seems something lacking in that sentiment. I still hear my kids listing and revising all the things they hope to get. Gid cries every morning because he just can't wait to for Christmas to come so he can get his Star Wars action figures. Something inside me says I must teach my children a deeper meaning in the giving, but how?
This morning, while watching Christmas messages on LDS.org I found a video that struck home for me. It warmed my heart and provided the answer I was looking for. I guess I should have realized all along that my handbook for life (the scriptures) would hold the key.
"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
Matthew 25:40
I know we won't be perfect, but remembering this scripture will help.
Merry Christmas everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment