Thursday, April 7, 2011

Happy Gardening Everyone!

My herbs and flowers with a few peas along the back. Happiness!
I know I must be shifting generational gears when I realize that I love my blossoming tomato plants more than shopping or American Idol. Or is it just the tonic of spring breezes, warm sun and the smell of dill and cilantro emanating from my hands as I merrily putter around my garden boxes? Whatever it may be, age or season, I'm having a ball!

The kids have joined in too. Every day Gideon accompanies me on a tour of the back forty (feet) to inspect the crops. He's especially interested in his wa-kini (Zucchini) plants and was most upset when I thinned the eight little sprouts he planted to two in the same box. He'll understand very quickly when they transform into behemoths producing ten zucchinis a day!

Eli planted peas, alas they went in too late for our freakish seasonal patterns. We might get a few early pods before the sun burns them up. He also planted cantelopes which will be so fun if we don't kill them (always a possibility around here).

Hannah planted wildflowers. Curtis, Jonah and Cody planted a random selection of carrots, cucumbers, onions and peas. Jonah was pretty mad to discover that little green caterpillars find new little pea vines divinely tasty. He picked off dozens of them and Gid relished the sight of green gushy insides squirting on the ground. Yummy!

When harvest time comes I can't guarantee the boys will love the crops as much as the process, but I sure will. Soon enough they'll grow into veggie loving adults with gardens of their own. =)

Tomatoes and onions and Ren, oh my!

No comments: