This was our first Thanksgiving in our new house in Arizona and to make it even better, my parents came to spend it with us. We learned a couple of very important things this year while preparing our feast.1) If you previously had a double oven but no longer have that luxury...you will not be able to cook a turkey, rolls, stuffing, pies and yams all at the same time
. BUT, if you let the boy scouts cook your turkey in a giant turkey cooking pit, you can ALMOST pull everything else off in your one oven.2) If you let the boy scouts cook your turkey in their giant turkey roasting pit, you won't have ANY brownings from which to make your gravy. Also, your turkey will be very tasty, BUT it will have disintegrated in the cooking bag and fall off the bones, so don't plan on having it as the centerpiece or on being able to carve it. (We should have taken a picture of it in it's falling apart state -- there are many more bones to a turkey than I ever knew!)
3)Too many pie cooks...just makes more pie! After I made pumpkin pies, Hannah was upset she didn't get to make crust, so she made crust and another pecan pie and then shared her crust with Cody and Ren who were making a caramel apple pie. (By the way, Hannah's crust was declared the best in a blind taste test -- mmmmm..., so flaky! She must tell me her secret!)
4)Despite #1 and #2 if you serve enough sparkling cider and pie, everyone will still declare it the BEST feast ever and you will still keel over from overdose of tryptophan!
5)Eating pie outside on the back patio in the warm Arizona sun is unlike any other way to eat pumpkin pie the 3rd week of November. Rather nice, I think.
So I gratefully declare, "Many thanks for many pies!" and call it a year.
2 comments:
I love seeing the pictures of your family in your new home. Is it possible to have too many pies?
You are funny! I love reading your blog. Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! How long did your parents get to stay?
I have some piano related questions for you so I need to call you soon ... probably when I can find the phone number. :)
Post a Comment