Monday, March 17, 2008

A "Little" Haircut

It was bound to happen, but you'll have to cut me a little slack for not expecting it, since Curtis was a perfect child and never used scissors for harm. Last night though, all my memories of why you NEVER leave toddlers alone playing together for too long came flooding back.

So, last night Gid and Eli were happily playing somewhere in the house. This doesn't happen often (though I'm starting to see light at the end of the baby-hood tunnel) so I was lulled into a happy but ignorant state of enjoying the quiet until Eli walked into the room and Hannah cried, "Mom! Eli is pulling his hair out!" What?! I looked over and Eli was pulling hair out of his head and he had many hairs in his bangs that were an inch longer than the rest. I still didn't suspect scissors were involved (I guess my short-term memory loss has extended to some other parts of my long-term memory), but when I walked over for a closer look it was obvious... Eli had given himself a haircut. The funny thing is, I couldn't really tell where at first. I started pulling my fingers through his hair and more and more hair came out; but his hair is long overdue for a haircut and currently resembles a shiny-blonde bowl that falls past his eyebrows. The missing hair came from smack-dab on top of his head where he'd sheared his hair to the scalp in a 1 inch square, but it's not readily noticeable from the front. Then I looked over at Gid and noticed he had hairs hanging in his face too. Uh-oh. He also had a nice short patch right at the top that was actually layered rather nicely down into his bangs. Gid is still sporting baby curls and long hair on top, but he now has layered bangs too.

It could have been much worse, I know, including the fact that Eli could have poked an eye out when he was giving Gid his haircut. We had to laugh though that no one even noticed this process because Eli apparently got the scissors from the guest room and then walked through the house leaving blobs of hair in a path through the family room and out to the back patio. What good is it to have 7 people older than the "Littles" when none of us even notice that there's a "Little" hair cutting going on? We're gonna have to work on our powers of observation before they really become two crazy toddlers looking for a dangerous weapon to play with!

(This post begs a picture, but I just can't capture the look, it's so subtle. Sorry.)

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Noah cut Annabel's hair down to the scalp,when she was 2, 2 weeks before Easter. I cried, a lot.

erin black said...

Oh my! But you probably were long overdue for that motherhood experience. And look how coordinated they are--not a single ear was lopped off in the process! Just in case, though, you might want to hide the pruning shears.