Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Big thoughts on Big Kids

I love having big kids (the "Bigs" as opposed to the "Littles"), but they're starting to pull on my heart-strings a little bit as they get older. I just got back from giving Zach his first official driving lesson. Wow, talk about not feeling old enough to have a child this old! I clearly remember learning to drive (and all of the trouble I got in to in the process) and it is surreal for me to be looking at this man-child who is taller than me and has a voice like my husband's, in the driver's seat of my car driving me down the street. I am constantly wondering "When did this happen?" He's also been composing music this summer and has joined three other guys from church in forming a group called Valiant for Courage. They've been recording a CD of original and church songs the last couple of weeks and I love it! There's such a rewarding feeling watching your child grow up and do things you can admire and relate to (partly because you remember being there not so long ago.) At the same time it makes me feel a little verklempt (to borrow my sister's useful word) as I realize that there is not much time left with him at home.

This mood is magnified by the fact that Hannah left this morning to visit our family in Oregon for 10 days. She has gotten so tall and cute and OLD this past year, I just couldn't fathom that it was my daughter heading off into the wild blue yonder. She starts High School in less than a month and I can't believe it! (I'm such a broken record! Will I still be saying the same thing when I'm older than the hills and my children are grandparents?) I will truly miss her funny sayings and crazy moods and her unfailing help with the Littles. I hope all you people in Oregon appreciate what you're getting!

Okay, so on a funny note... I just have to include one more thing about Zach. He is also VERY helpful with the Littles, but not quite with the same sense of style or instinctive feminine touch Hannah has. This was evidenced by the outfit I found he'd dressed Gid in the other day. It was one of those moments when I was so grateful to have my littlest dressed, but some part of me wouldn't allow him out of the house this way. (Sorry Zach!) We all had a good laugh at Zach's fashion sense. What really matters is that Gid would have been proud to be sporting his stripes and plaid, if it meant he could hang out with his biggest brother Zach.
********************************************

4 comments:

Heather said...

Hmmm I thought that this was Ren....Does Ren play drums, or is that Zach in the Vintage drum playing post? Wow this can't NOT be Zach. How did that happen?

Deborah said...

I have to say, I love watching my kids get older, because that means they will leave home soon!

Heather said...

Oh come on -- he looks adorable! I thought you were the one with kids who were happy just to have something clean. Hmmm . . . I sense a serious rise in standards!

Kat Thomas said...

Cool! I'd like to listen to Valiant for Courage! Who else is in it? And Hannah... OLD haha! Gid is soooo adorable!!!