Monday, December 15, 2008

My Son the Studly Composer

Recently, my son Zach and a group of kids from church put on a benefit concert for the family of Shelly Conway, a woman at church who was suffering from terminal cancer. They practiced for several weeks in the basement of our house (even getting Zach's messy room featured on the video announcements at their high school!) They did many different kinds of numbers (vocal, piano, ensemble -- original pieces and popular favorites). Zach performed three of his original compositions and I recently discovered they have been posted to YouTube so I get to share them!

This first one he wrote for his sister Hannah who is crazy/fun and loves penguins. He wanted it to capture the fun-loving nature of his sister and first titled it "Hermana Caliente!" Hannah rejected the "Hot Sister" title and suggested "El Penguino Latino" (the latin penguin) and it stuck.  Here it is:

 

This is the first song Zach wrote, titled "Boardwalk".



Finally, this song Zach wrote as a result of my asking him to write a soft and flowy song in the style of music I like to play. After he wrote it and was searching for a name, I suggested that songs like this should be named for a girl that was important to you. He did NOT name it after me, but he did name it "Jessica's Song" for a good friendgirl of his from Murrieta.



Thanks for letting me brag!

5 comments:

JJ said...

My computer is so retarded!! It will no longer run flashplayer videos off of people's blogs!! Can you send me the actual links for Zach's songs on YouTube? I tried looking them up by name but having no luck there either. I would love to see them. Thanks, Love you guys. Jenny

JJ said...

Yeah, my computer decided to spontaneously work!! LOVED the songs. How amazingly talented Zach is...tell him that...from me!! Lucky you to have that beautiful music in your home.

Deborah said...

Wow, he is amazing. What a gift.

Mindful Mothering said...

Wow! What an awesome talent to have:-) Jen, you did a fabulous job with your Christmas decor! I love the pics... and I am glad you had a nice love vacation ~ I'm going to need one soon!

Jeanette said...

Awesome! I am going to have to show Bowen .. what an inspiration!