Monday, January 5, 2009

That 70's Man

It's my Dad's 70th birthday today -- Happy Birthday Dad! This event also means that I will be turning 40 this year, since I'm 30 years behind him, but there's a few more months before I have to face that. So, I was chatting with my mom about what they were going to do for the soiree and I came up with the idea that they should do a 70's party! I wish we could have been there, but since we weren't we rewrote the words to a song that just screams 70's: Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees. It would be so impressive if we'd been able to write it, learn it, sing it, video tape it and upload it to Youtube between when I talked with my mom at noon and party time at 8:00. Sorry to say, I'm good, but I'm not that good. So we just sang it over the phone.  I thought I'd post the lyrics though, just in case anyone wants to feel inspired. Be sure to sing it in a drug-induced falsetto voice, it sounds more authentic that way.

Stayin' Alive (at 70)

Well you can tell by the way he eats his cake
he's the birthday boy, for goodness' sake.
The family's there, the food is too,
He's turning 70, our dear grandpoo.

And now it's all right, it's okay
and you may look the other way.
We can try to understand
Seven decades effect on man.

Whether you're 50 or 60 or 70
you're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
If you're cake's on fire like a Viking funeral pyre
you're still stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ah, ah, ah stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ah, ah, ah stayin' aliiiiiiiiiive.

Happy Birthday dear Grandpoo
The Byers Fam is wishing you
We sure wish we could be there
to eat your cake and count your hairs.

{Repeat Bridge and Chorus, but end with Happy Birthday to Yooooooooooooo!}

We'll accept our grammy by video message, thank you.

2 comments:

JJ said...

Love it!!! Can you write a good 80's synthesized song for me?? My dad's 80th is this summer...and by the way I'm not even CLOSE to 40!!! I'm only going to be 39 next month :-)

erin black said...

Oh my, this made me giggle! I bet he loved it! Unless, of course, his hearing is going... hee.