Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Baby Went to Prom *sniff, sniff*


  
The monochrome setting on my camera created images that had a vintage 1930's feel. I'm lovin' that!
**************************************

It's happening and I'm not sure what to think. Really, these milestones are causing a great wave of verklemptitude to wash over my tender mother's heart. (Hey, if Shakespeare can make up words, why can't I?) First Zach gets his license and last night he went to the prom. I just can't take this disconnect between how old I feel and the signs of aging that march past me, taunting me as they pass by. I see that if I don't embrace this process, it will mow me down, so I'm looking for the positives... and finding them.

Amanda emerged from the car  in a gorgeous royal blue dress with  rhinestones on ears, neck, wrist and bodice sparkling like diamonds in the sun. Watching my big boy, tuxedo clad and grinning ear to ear as he beheld her for the first time that night was a gift.  Being able to take pictures of them to my heart's content: the big bow on top! Amanda's mom was kind enough to bring her over to our house so I could take pictures of them putting on their flowers and I was so grateful to be included in a tradition usually savored by the girl's parents. 

I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves, so I will end this post with a challenge. Can you spell the name of the flower that gets pinned on the boy? I typed so many iterations of that word and I knew that I was messing it up. I tried to look it up on dictionary.com and was butchering it so badly that it didn't even come up with options that were close. Guess who finally saved the day? Google! If you google the wrong spelling of something it prompts you... Did you mean to type...(enter correct spelling here.) So how do you spell it? Boutaneer? Boutineer? Boutionere? Nope. It's BOUTONNIERE! No one in my house could spell it correctly (including Ren much to his consternation!) and we have a host of championship spellers. This tickled my funny bone to no end! So you are now armed with the correct spelling of a very often  misspelled word. I leave you with this knowledge and about a thousand pictures of Zach and Amanda on their way to "Romeo and Juliet's Masquerade Ball".

Hannah was happy to hang out with Zach while he waited for Amanda to arrive. The jacket didn't quite fit her...

Trying out a colorized look...(seriously, this photo shoot was all about me! So much fun!!)




The masks for the masquerade ball made by Amanda.

Their faces could only be serious for so long...

Zach's friend Trent Rasmussen was part of the group who went, so I snapped some pictures of him in his snazzy suit.

Then things got a little out of hand...I call it "The Boy Dip."

Ready to go...

...and he even made it home before midnight. I think I can handle being the parent of this teenager. =D

3 comments:

janeannechovy said...

I love the vintage-y looking ones, too.

And I knew how to spell boutonniere, but then I was a French major (plus I am a spelling champeeen!).

Timsalive said...

I must say WOW. I cannot believe it is prom time for you house. What a wonderful event. I think that it is a great mystery how parents deal with this. I had to remember my prom and then I went poof. Time to start a new tradition for my girls. I can see that Zach is full of smiles and he will always remember these times. I am grateful for your blog. It show different sides of adulthood and parenting for others to learn from. Good luck with the rest of the many many proms.

Tim

Becky said...

I hope they had an amazing time--they certainly looked amazing. Keep sniffin', Jen, those experiences are going to come fast and furious from now on.