Sunday, January 6, 2008

Away, Away with Rum, by Gum


I had occasion today to do some video-taping of my three youngest in the bathtub. It's always cute to see the three of them cute and nakie in the tub, but today they were singing a song Curtis learned from our i-tunes playlist. Ren put lots of songs on the computer that were funny standards that his Dad used to play for their family. This one happens to be by the Chad Mitchell Trio and is called, "Away with Rum, by Gum". Curty started singing it and this is how it goes:

I never eat cookies because they have yeast
and one little bite turns a man to a beast
Can you imagine a sadder disgrace?
Than a man in the gutter with crumbs on his face.

Away, away with rum by gum
rum by gum
rum by gum
Away, away with rum by gum
The song of the temperence union

We never eat fruitcake because it has rum
and one little bite turns a man to a bum
can you imagine a sorrier sight?
Than a man eating fruitcake until he gets tight.

Repeat Chorus

So, it's a funny song for Curtis, my six year-old to be singing. But wait...later that day, during church, while taking the sacrament, Eli starts singing, "AWAY, AWAY WITH RUM, BY GUM..." loudly! And when he senses that this is not a song I want him singing during church, while taking the sacrament, he gets beligerant about it and sings it even louder! Yikes! It's funny...now, but not then. Someday I'll figure out how to upload the video from the tub, but for now, you just a get a picture of the three boys with soap horns on their heads. Aaaw, so cute.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

I should look up some old songs I heard from my grandmother. Myrtle the Turtle was my favorite.

Hermana Law said...

Hey Jen,

It was fun to find your blog from denise. I am glad that it was linked. We need to get together and catch up. It is fun to see how your family has grown.


Jen

Curt the Cute said...

you know I sung too.

Jonah Byers said...

Uh, mom? Do you really want women seeing that?