Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Kissing and Marriage

Things are kind of tense around here with my mom so sick in the hospital -- she's actually gotten a little worse and is now on a ventilator. We're worried but trying not to be pessimistic, just taking things as they come. If you would like to get regular email updates on her condition, let me know and I'll put you on the list I've compiled of her friends and family.

So, with things kind of sad around here, a funny conversation with Curty this morning was greatly appreciated and I thought I'd share it. It all started with Gid. He has learned how to kiss and loves to kiss everybody (usually on the knee, which is where he can reach.) He puckers his little lips up just like a fish and lays one on you then goes to find his next object of affection. This morning I was joking with him and said, "That's right Giddy, get all your kisses done now, then save the rest for marriage." Curtis was sitting at the table listening and then he got that look in his eyes that says he's processing something and pipes up, "Mom, you know how you and dad got married a long, LONG time ago?" I laughed at that and said, "Yeah, it was a long time ago." "Did you have children then?" he asks. "Um, nope, I didn't have any children yet." I'm chuckling and thinking, "Should I have this discussion with him....NO!" So then he continues, "Well, then why do you and dad still kiss?" I reply "Curtis, you're supposed to kiss when you're married!" I guess he understood my comment to Gid about kissing to mean that you save all your kisses for your wedding day, when you lay one big smooch on your sweetie, never to kiss again. I'm glad to know that we proved to him that his hypothesis was wrong. It would be sad if he didn't know that Ren I ever kiss. Someday I'll explain that thing about where the children came from and he can make all the connections in the kissing conversation.

7 comments:

Deborah said...

Jen, I am really sorry to hear about your Mother. I am glad your dad made it there to be with her.

Jeanette said...

Thank you for sharing. I am glad you can find some "light" moments amidst the stress and worry right now. Thanks again for the updates.

JJ said...

There was no kissing involved where my babies came from!!! Where did your babies come from :-)

erin black said...

Wait a minute...you're supposed to kiss AFTER you get married?? Whoa. That's just gross.

I'm so glad I came here today--I had no idea about your mom. I will definitely pray for her. She's such a wonderful person.

Christensen's said...

Jen,
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I am so GLAD that you have the opportunity to be with her during this hard time. You and your family will be in our prayers.

I have a friend who told her boys she would give them $1000 if they made it to 18 with out kissing a girl. The oldest(16) said the kiss was SOOOOO worth it.

Coco the Great said...

I know this might be about this post, but even so...... Anyway, Sierra might have beaten me with that post, but I still have many funny posts to go on.

Anonymous said...

Jen, I can just imagine Curty's little face as he thought that one over! Happy to hear you're still laughing amid the stress.

We need Gid to teach Cole how to kiss properly . . . he's still sticking out his tongue when he tries! But it's funny to watch the other kids gross out when he plants a big wet one on 'em.