
When I read the biography of former LDS church prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, I was thoroughly enamored with the stories of young Gordon and his little brother Sherman. They did everything together -- slept in a wagon under the stars, played pranks, wandered the farm and skipped school. The stories of these two brothers are funny and sweet and captured my heart so completely that I have nicknamed my last two little boys "Gordon and Sherman". I have envisioned a time when they too would be bonded in love and friendship so completely.
Since Gideon was born I've waited expectantly for these two boys to discover that being born close together was a gift we gave them so they would never feel alone. It's been a long wait, but Gid has finally become a little boy and the two of them are becoming inseparable. When Eli wakes up in the morning he bounds out of his blankets and tries to wake up Gid. If Gid doesn't budge, Eli comes running tearily to me complaining, "Giddy won't get up Mom. I want Giddy to wake up!" Gid often runs through the house yelling, "Yai yai! Yai yai!" looking for his brother and partner in every little boy crime imaginable. I love it.
Today we lost Gid. It occurred to me, somewhat like abruptly waking to a sense that something is wrong, that the house was too silent. I hadn't seen or heard from our crazy little guy for a while. The search was on and just before I was going to send the troops through the neighborhood looking for him, Ren found Gid asleep on Eli's pillow and under his blankie on the floor. He's been a bit under the weather and I guess he was pooped. Ten minutes later I peeked in on him and discovered Eli laying next to him, stroking his hair and gazing fondly at his little brother. When I made my rounds the third time I found them fast asleep together on the floor in front of the fan -- Eli's favorite place to sleep. I snapped their picture to freeze this moment in time. I want them to know that their friendship started at a time when Gid was just barely old enough to talk and Eli was just old enough to have reserved a place in his heart for someone littler than him.
Today we lost Gid. It occurred to me, somewhat like abruptly waking to a sense that something is wrong, that the house was too silent. I hadn't seen or heard from our crazy little guy for a while. The search was on and just before I was going to send the troops through the neighborhood looking for him, Ren found Gid asleep on Eli's pillow and under his blankie on the floor. He's been a bit under the weather and I guess he was pooped. Ten minutes later I peeked in on him and discovered Eli laying next to him, stroking his hair and gazing fondly at his little brother. When I made my rounds the third time I found them fast asleep together on the floor in front of the fan -- Eli's favorite place to sleep. I snapped their picture to freeze this moment in time. I want them to know that their friendship started at a time when Gid was just barely old enough to talk and Eli was just old enough to have reserved a place in his heart for someone littler than him.
4 comments:
That's so sweet, Jen! I wish my boys had that same sort of attachment to each other-- maybe someday. They are polar opposites in temperament and interests, but I have hope. ; )
wow, so cute!!!! I love your adorable blog!...yeah zion's Trek was actually very challenging, but spiritual and fun!
Very sweet post. That is what I have wished for my kids, but, alas, I realize that will never be.
That is the sweetest little picture. What a treasure!
Post a Comment