Monday, May 30, 2011

Lobsters and Diamonds and Gucci Bags, oh my!

I'm sure that sharing a dream in cyber-space is somewhat personal...but I had the WEIRDEST dream last night and I'm dying to see if anyone can interpret it for me!

So... I dreamed that I was putting Curty back into school, starting in the fifth grade. When I got to the school, it was huge and all the kids were huge and the hallways were dark. I walked him to his classroom and noticed that our dog Henry was running loose and getting into all kinds of trouble! I was pretty stressed about him, but I had to make sure I got Curty settled in his classroom so I had to leave Henry to his antics. When we got to the classroom, the teacher was overwhelmed and preoccupied by dozens of BIG kids and just told me to find a seat for Curty somewhere. He started directing the kids to get some materials out of the cubbies in the back which were stuffed full to overflowing with all kinds of random papers and supplies. Nothing was labeled and I felt overwhelmed for Curtis, but I knew I needed to let him make his own way so I left him there.

I spent the rest of the day talking to the administrators in the school about policies and procedures and soon discovered that they had a new policy they were pretty proud of. They had made a new rule that mothers could no longer bring lobster to the classes as a treat, it was just too messy. There was a new snack protocol contract that everyone had to sign, specifically banning lobster. The consequence for bringing lobster was to have your designer purse confiscated. The principal had a large, glass-front cupboard full of designer bags that he had proudly confiscated and couldn't wait to sell or give away. I was somewhat disgusted with his excitement, but wasn't sure what to say, so I left to wait out at the car for Curtis to be done.

As I walked out to the car, the other mothers started to arrive to pick up their kids. Every one was dressed in an evening gown encrusted with jewels, mostly diamonds, and wearing super high-heeled shoes. They were all chatting and swinging their BIG designer purses around as they waited for their kids to come out. Finally, I saw Curtis moping along with his head down. He looked so tiny compared to all the amazon children streaming from the school. I asked him how he was and he mumbled, "Fine." I threw my arms around him and starting crying telling him how much I had missed him and then he started crying and clinging to me for the longest time. Finally, I woke up.

So Freud, what does it mean?

2 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Wow.

Rachel Keppner said...

I'd say it is very telling about how you feel about public school. (At least, *I* can totally relate! LOL!)

I am BIG into dreams, and when I have one that feels really symbolic, like this one seems to me, (Though I didn't have it, so it may just be a jumble of brain-scrambles--LOL! It's YOUR dream, after all!) I sit up and take notice.

To me, the FEELINGS in a dream are the parts worth interpreting and examining. How did you feel about what was going on?

(How's THAT for helpful?! :-p)

Have a great day!