It seems like it's just been a Zach-fest around here lately. The latest was totally unexpected, but thrilling nonetheless. We attended a Jon Schmidt concert on Saturday night (he's a very popular, funny, new age pianist and composer) and about half-way through the concert, Jon asks the audience if there are any professional jazz pianists out there. Nobody raises their hand. Any college jazz band players? Nope. Okay, any high school jazz band pianists -- with the caveat that if there are and they want to come up and jam with Jon, they have to yell out the notes in a C blues scale. Well, we were on the VERY back row of the second tier of seats and Zach yells out, then bellows the notes of the scale and Jon tells him to come on down!
I was floored...having no idea that Zach felt confident enough in his skills as a jazz pianist to get on a stage in front of a packed theater and jam with a professional musician. Oh my gosh! He was amazing and the crowd went wild! Curty had followed me down to the front to record it and while everyone was applauding, he yelled, "THAT'S MY BROTHER!!!!" So cute.
Afterward, Jon wryly said, "You didn't give me that much applause on any of my songs." =D Wow, what an experience for all of us. I'm so glad I had a phone with video on it! (Thank you, thank you Ren for buying me an iPhone 4s!) Zach, you are amazing and I was proudly thinking, "That's my boy Billy!"
Here's the video:
4 comments:
Good for him to be so brave! Awesome.
That is the coolest thing I've heard today!!! What a wonderful experience. :-)
Hugs,
Rachel Keppner
Go Zach! Very impressive.
-Uncle Eric
Oh my gosh Jenn, that was amazing!! How awesome. (yes, I'm a bit behind on checking out your blog and am just getting around to seeing this) Thanks for posting so fun to see. Jenny
Post a Comment