Monday, November 12, 2007

Fishing Dreams Come True


My boys dream of fishing. I'm not sure why but I think it has something to do with deep, primeval urges that they don't even understand. Well, when we moved to Arizona, we chose our house in large part because of it's location in a planned community that is beautiful and packed with parks, swimming pools and yes, TWO catch-and-release fishing lakes. Since August I have been asked at least 50 times a day, "When do we get to go fishing, Mom?!!!!" Saturday they got their wish. Our association sponsored a family fishing day and provided poles and bait to anyone who wanted to participate. I figured it would be a disappointment to them, but apparently it lived up to every expectation and fulfilled every subconscious need they had! Here are a few of the pictures from that perfect morning of fishing. I consider it perfect because I didn't have to touch worms or fish, nor did anything stinky or slimy come home with us (except Gid and Eli who got dog-slobbered along the way.) Next summer when I want to die of the heat, remind me of this idyllic day next to the lake.

Here's a far-away shot of Cody, Curtis and Jonah across the lake. They kept moving farther and farther around the other side, so I had a hard time keeping up with them.

Cody actually caught a "carp" that get's bigger everytime I ask him how big it was. I came after-the-fact so I didn't get a picture. Darn!

Jonah and Curtis, on the other side of the lake, AGAIN.

Cute Curty never touched the bait, he asked the volunteers from the Arizona Game & Fish Dept. to bait his hook everytime. I asked them to smile for me and only the volunteer remembered what a smile was! Curtis apparently caught a catfish too, but it got away before he could pull it out. He tells me that he used an earthworm dipped in catfish bait dip and it was REALLY stinky.

Hannah, Gideon and Eli hang out on the bridge.

Gid and Eli found some greyhounds and they LOVED them!

The dogs loved the boys too, notice where Gid is now. (but he didn't cry!)

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I love the pics of your kids and neighborhood. Fishing is a true joy of childhood. I couldn't get enough of it when I was a kid--it just doesn't do it for me now.

Jeanette said...

My boys would be jealous! We live by two rivers, but they can't convince their dad to take them! If we ever make it to visit, we'll have to come when we can fish. :)