Sometimes I have weird thoughts when I'm showering. I find them funny (but don't people always find themselves funny?) and I've never had anywhere to explore them before. But NOW I have a blog, the perect place for my weird shower musings. I won't presume them to be entertaining to anyone else, but it's somewhat cathartic to get them out of my head. So, I'll apologize now if I must.
As a sophomore in the marching band (playing the tuba incidentally, which is a strange, gender-discrimination inspired story I may tell some day), I found myself roped into a contest while on a charter bus which was on its way to a long -forgotten band competition in San Jose, CA. Someone decided we should ascertain who had the hairiest legs on the bus (including guys)...and I WON! Lucky me. It just shows that even back then, I hated the feminine ritual of shaving my legs. What a major pain! I would avoid it for as long as possible and still do. Today though, I looked down and saw the hair was getting to be Orangutan-ish and since I just happened to have an extra couple of hours to get ready, I marched into the shower armed with my pink razor and an extra measure of patience. Sheesh! It just takes too darn long to shave your legs, not to mention the contortions and cramps and awkard angles involved in shaving in the shower. But, after many moons (no pun intended), I traded hairy legs for pruny feet. Even after all that time I still didn't do the thorough job that most women do (you know, all the zones), I just managed to shave from the knees down. Why oh why is this a girlie thing? Admittedly, I like that slippery-under-the-sheets sensation you get the first night after you shave your legs, but I find that the sensation is enhanced in proportion to the number of weeks (or months!) it has been since I last felt it. So forgive me world if I'd rather have the hairiest legs on the band bus. Maybe when I'm old and wrinkly, they'll be smooth because I'll have all the time in the world to devote to shaving. That and the prunies will blend in with the wrinkles.
2 comments:
I love it. (and I live it)
Loving your new blog and your stories/musings.
You might find this blog post amusing:
http://mellykat.blogspot.com/2007/10/you-know-its-getting-colder-out-when.html#links
Hi. Remember me? I dig hairy hippy chicks, ya dig!? :)
Anyway, did you ever clean up that Sharpie madness and HOW? Do you have a secret...I mean that room looks TRASHED. What a shame cuz the chair coverlet is so cute.
Hi Hannah!
Post a Comment