Friday, November 2, 2007

My Life is a Sitcom

Most people who know me know that over the years I've kept a notebook of funny things my kids have said. Well, recently it seems, we've just been very funny -- or very full of ourselves -- because the kids keep saying, "Mom! You have to write that one down!" I find myself listening ever more intently to everyone's conversations so that I might have material for the "Book of Funny Sayings". And, I had to admit to myself the other night, that I've even tried to be funnier than usual so my kids would say to me, "Mom, that was funny! You've got to write that one down." I started thinking about this phenomenon early yesterday morning, and in the midst of this philosophical moment, I had the thought that my life is turning into a sitcom. I'm actually trying to be funny so I'll get a laugh from the audience! How embarrassing...and yet maybe this isn't as pathetic as it sounds. Because, if I'm trying to be funny, doesn't that mean that I'm less likely to be the ogre-mom I sometimes turn into when life gets crazy? What if all of us, all the time had the attitude of, "living with me is a whacky, hilarious, up-beat experience" and "at the end of this episode all problems will be resolved and we'll all love each other"? Frankly, I just think that it's a new way of saying the glass is half-full, only now what matters is what the glass is half-full of (think of a funny liquid...is there a funny liquid? Maybe that can be another topic to post on...please feel free to comment.) So, this is my new angle on life: My life is a sitcom and it's up to me to make the writing of it funny, memorable and ultimately have a great ending to every episode. I'll still keep listening for the great things my kids say, but I won't have to be self-conscious of my own witicisms if they happen to make the cut because that just means we had a good day.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Jen, I love the title of your blog. It is so true of most of our lives. Thanks for linking me up with yours.

Ernie said...

What's wrong with ogres?

Becky said...

Despite the disparaging reference to ogres, I love this new philosophy of motherhood. Remember, we ARE Lucy and Ethel!!!