Every morning at 6:15 a.m. I hear a loud "hmmm mmmm" (throat clearing) and blearily look up to see my oldest, Zach in my doorway, trying to wake me up to take him to school. Sometimes I try to get up earlier so I'm up and moving before this happens. But lately, I have been dead to the world when it occurs. Last Thursday, I was even more exhausted than usual and dreaming the MOST bizarre dream (that will have to be a separate post!) Zach "hmm mmm"ed at me and I wearily rolled over the side of the bed and made a grab at the closest thing I could find on the floor to wear, my nightgown. I usually don't drive in my nightgown, I mean really, how embarrassing would that be to have the car break down or a cop pull me over and there I am in my short, yellow, embroidered-around-the-neck jammies? But it is only 5 minutes to the High School and it was 6:15 a.m. for heaven's sakes! And I was right, nobody saw me, even when I realized it was garbage day and I ran out to put the garbage cans in. Oh wait, I think a teenage boy down the street was getting into his car, but I'm pretty sure he didn't care (it's not like my bare legs are stopping traffic these days!)
After I took Zach, Hannah was up and ready by 7:15 a.m. and it was time to drive her and another neighborhood boy to school. I really should have changed out of my nightgown at this point, but I actually ended up almost falling asleep on the couch between taking Zach and taking Hannah, so I groggily heaved my body off the couch and got in the car to take Hannah.
After we picked up Nathan, Hannah and I were talking about sewing a pocket into a skirt (a random conversation) and I reached down to show her the seam of my nightgown to illustrate where the pocket would go. As I looked down to grab it, I noticed that the tag was hanging out on the side, because I had it on INSIDE OUT! I showed Hannah and we busted out laughing. Nathan didn't say anything and we didn't explain because we were laughing too hard! So nice to know that I'd been galavanting around all morning in an inside out, frumpy yellow embroidered mumu. What a great way to start the day! I guess that's happens when you're too tired to look at what you're putting on.
As a side note: Later it dawned on me that I had to have a pretty great daughter for her to just laugh with me over my silliness. I could totally picture some of the surly teenage girls I know saying, "Mother! I can't believe you went out like that! Drop me off at the corner so I can pretend I don't know you." I think I'm pretty lucky that she doesn't consider me an embarrassment! Still, I'm going to watch what I wear during the morning carpool from now on -- if I can keep my eyes open!
5 comments:
I love stories like that!
It reminds me of the time Rophone got home from work and headed straight to the bathroom to pee because he hadn't gone all day (THAT is something I'll never understand, being the every hour pee-er that I am!), only to find that he had been wearing his "G" bottoms inside out and backwards all day (yeah, I know! How do you not notice that?! Talk about binding!!)
Or the time I thought things felt rather breezy, only to discover the pajama bottoms I was running around in (yes, outside!) had split down the rear.
Oh, the memories this post brought on!
Oh my! You'd better at least buy sexier pajamas to be caught running around in. Isn't that the message here?
Before I get in the car for early-morning carpools, my brain involuntarily flashes me a picture of me walking down the street in whatever it is I'm about to put on. Probably cuz I grew up with the image of my mom hitch-hiking on the freeway in her bathrobe, curlers, and fuzzy slippers. Yup! It happens!
That image of Mary Ellen would stop me too! You must be almost 40cuz that's when haute couteur kind of loses its appeal, and inside out jammies start sounding good. hee
hahaha! I would've laughed at my mom too! Then when I got to school I would be a little embarrassed then get over it. =P I'm a teenager!
Funny, funny! I want to see a picture of the night gown. :)
Post a Comment