Friday, September 12, 2008

Mom, was that you?

We had a little excitement last night. I was out at a book club (of sorts) and then I went to pick up Zach at band practice. We stopped by the store on the way home for a few necessaries and Hannah called me, a little freaked out, and wanted to know if I'd tried to come in the barred door about 10 minutes ago. Surprised, I said, "No, I'm just finishing up at the store." I quizzed her to make sure she wasn't exaggerating or something and she assured me she heard the door push open against the bar and the security system beeped to indicate an opening door. Well, I got a little freaked out and rushed home, on the way calling my closest neighbor (who's number I remember) and asking her to check on Hannah. Her husband was on his way home from work, so she got a little freaked out, locked her door and told me I should call the police to come and check it out. I felt a little silly doing that, so I asked her if she would! She did and a few minutes after I got home, we had a very nice police woman and man tripping over toys and discarded toddler clothing as they checked out the back yard. They found nothing, luckily. Hannah told me that while she was waiting for me to come home, she had grabbed a knife and walked through the house to make sure no one was there. I was pretty impressed with that brave move, as this is my daughter who historically has been VERY fearful about being home alone. Good for her. I did explain to her that holding a knife you don't really know how to use (unless she was going to finely dice carrots for the intruder -- in which case it would do nicely) could turn into a weapon he would use against her. We decided that the best course of action is to flip out like a woman with SEVERE pms, that scares most of the men I know.

6 comments:

JJ said...

Did the police find out anything? That's scary with the alarm beep and all. Maunia would get scared by noises when she was babysitting so I shared a story with her from my babysitting years. I was downstairs with all the kids (in a basement) and I heard this thumping like someone was slowly coming downstairs one deliberate step at a time. When I finally got brave enough to check it out I found.......a very ominous peanut butter jar rolling down the stairs. The family had left a bag of trash at the top of the stairs and it had shifted slightly dumping the peanut butter jar out. Too funny (but not really when you're 12!!!)

Cathy said...

I think this is the best advise for self defense that I have ever heard. A combination of crying, hysterics, etc. would make any man run for the hills. Very sage advice from a mother of seven!

~C

erin black said...

How scary!! Thank goodness for cell phones so she could call you. I hated being alone at her age, too. That probably would've put me into a coma!

denise @ little ant design said...

This owuld so have freaked my out - good for hannah for keeping her cool.

Becky said...

Hannah rocks my world!!!!!! She can finely dice my carrots any old day. I"m glad everthing is okay. I would think that seeing 7 children in a household would be enough to discourage any neighborhood burglar. Apparantly this was a stubborn one. I'll sic Peanut on him.

Deborah said...

That is straight out of a Mary Higgins Clark novel. What a brave girl.