Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Monsoon!




We have been hit by a few GIANT monsoons the last week or so. One afternoon it hit just before the boys got home from school. Hannah and her friend Michelle were already home and they made a rain suit for Eli out of a garbage bag and a big bowl. He looked so funny. After Eli played in the downpour, we took the Littles over to see the park, which had flooded and they just had to go play in the water. The bus drops the boys off there, so when Cody, Jonah and Curty saw the Littles playing, they ran home, put on swim suits and headed back over to the park. I sacrificed much by braving the murky water and many, MANY bugs to wade across the playground and get the best angles for pictures. I even found a cockroach crawling up my leg! Eww! We all came home soaking wet and scratching many bug bites, but it was memorable, especially in the endless heat of the summer. Here's some pics...

Here's Eli in his designer rain suit.




Cody found a black, velvety butterfly and rescued it from the water. It was beautiful.


Gideon made friends with a neighborhood dog.


The boys decided that a "water" park was much more fun than the regular park.






Growing up in Oregon I learned that rain meant cold, miserable, depressing days where you couldn't go outside. Now I chuckle to find that rain means something completely different in Arizona. It is a precious relief from the heat and allows us to escape from the confines of the house to enjoy our beautiful neighborhood; at least until the sun comes out again and the steam starts to rise.

8 comments:

erin black said...

What AWESOME photos! They look sooo happy! Love that...what great memories.

The Laundry Queen said...

Your pictures reminded me of the time I went riding my bike down at Minto Brown Island when it was all flooded. It's funny how different your view of the rain in Oregon is from mine. I always found it comforting (well, maybe mid-soccer practice I sometimes wished it would go away), and it didn't keep me inside very often.

I laugh at myself living here, though. We don't go out in the rain to play, and it's making me fear I've turned into a pansy. Rainy weather is so short-lived that there is no fear that we'll be stuck inside for weeks, so might as well wait for it to pass. I really must remedy that!

denise @ little ant design said...

Looks like a totally fun afternoon.

Deborah said...

who'd have thought you'd get that much water in AZ? You're a better woman than I--I couldn't have braved the bugs!

Jeanette said...

So sorry I missed it!

Kat Thomas said...

Wow... these pictures are amaaaaaaaaaaaaa-za-zing!!!!!!!!
I love it! especially the ones of Eli's rain suit and the butterfly! that's so awesome!!!

It looks so fun! I miss being a kid! =[

Rachel Boaz said...

Oh My Goodness your children are adorable!!!!!!!!! i miss your family and really hope you visit and when you do hopefully let me know! by the way your blog is really nice fun to read!

Ernie said...

Love the shot of the slide into the newly formed pond! Great! :)